Monday, May 11, 2009

Life since the events of last week had been pretty quiet.  We finally caught the inmate that had escaped and life in the city was almost normal for a change.  Then I got a phone call that kind of through me off a bit.  Earlier that day I had gotten a call from my mom.  She was calling to tell me that she would be out to visit from Ohio in the next few days to see how I was doing with life as a cop in the city.  It was a Sunday morning and I woke up and took a good look at my pathetic apartment.  There were big brown spots on the ceiling that seemed to grow larger and more amoeba shaped everyday.  The ceiling seemed to even be sagging in some places.  There was a pile of laundry in the closet at least two feet high and just as much trash outside the trashcan as there was inside of it.  When I walked in to the kitchen and turned on the light at least half a dozen roaches scattered.  The dirty dish situation was the worst of all.  Just about every dish I owned was sitting in the sink probably starting to mold.  This was a bit out of hand even for me.  I gave the apartment a pretty decent cleaning and I was able to once again see the floor that had been buried underneath the rubble for a good month now.
After that I headed over to the grocery store and picked up some food to make actual meals with.  The food would probably never get used but it would please my mother to think that I was eating somewhat healthy, home cooked meals.  After picking up a few things at the store I headed over to Mo' Liquor and picked up something a little nicer than the cheap shit I'm used to drinking. After all that I headed home and prepared for her visit.  She arrived a few days later and seeing her brought back a wave of memories.  It had been at least two years since I'd last seen her and those two years seemed to have aged her drastically.  This made me feel old and sad that I hadn't spent a little more time at home.  Anyways the visit went as you might expect, nothing exciting.  She wasn't extremely pleased with the area or with my tiny apartment but she respected the work I did and was happy I was finally making it on my own.  We reminisced about my childhood and she told me about how the rest of the family back home was.  She only stayed a night and I dropped her off at the airport the next morning.  It was a short visit but nice to see a familiar face and think about how far I'd come since living in Ohio.  For once in a long time I felt actually happy and things were going okay these days.  Hopefully this trend would continue but I had a a feeling that something else may have been in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment