Saturday, February 21, 2009

It was mid-morning and already the day had taken on an eventful start. The fire alarm in a nearby building had gone off and while it seemed like the firefighters should be able to handle it, they were calling in some of the police force just in case. So, sirens blaring I headed over to the building to see what all the fuss was about. Once I reached the building the deafening firetruck sirens drowned out pretty much everything and thinking became almost impossible. As I took in the noisy scene I realized that today was surprisingly a pretty nice day weather wise. It was still cold but the sun was shining and people actually seemed to be out on the streets walking around. Had the actual city itself not been so shitty looking and had there not been sirens blaring so unbearably loudly, someone driving through might have mistaken this for a normal neighborhood. I snapped back into reality when I realized the sirens had stopped and an angry looking fire fighter was yelling something about a false alarm and how we should move out. False alarm. Let me guess, some little shit kid decided it might be funny to drag my ass out here for no reason and waste every one's time. What a racket. After the excitement died down I headed back to the station to find out what else was in store for me today.
On the way back to the station I drove past Donald James riding around on his stupid little bike in the 30 degree weather. He was an odd character and in the past I had given him warnings on various occasions for disorderly conduct which was usually fueled by alcohol. Like I said, a strange guy but he seemed harmless enough. As we passed each other he sent a look my way that was anything but pleasant, though I can't say I'm not used to getting those kinds of looks. I finally reached the station and continued on with a normal day at work.

2 comments:

  1. 1. the writing is good and you very amply show the cynicism of the character as well as explain the cynicism
    2. i think what is missing is some sort of change in your character, like something needs to happen...
    3. i think we should meet back up again, since i had us on rather friendly terms, and you miiiight want to mention that we had that whole interaction, that we caught a drug lord and all, kind of a big deal :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hey Froyd, what's new?" Alexander said, stepping into Deputy Froyd Delson's office.
    Froyd gave him a very weary look in response.
    "That good, huh? Word on the street is that Donald Fish randomly got shot in the calf." Alex said, thinking back to when he's followed Fish's example of heading over to package store after some stupid kid pulled the fire alarm.
    "Yeah, that whole mess is really weird. We don't even know if Donald was the target. Anyways, the good news is that we finally got J Rizzle on a petty solicitation of prostitution charge, but we're gonna have to get more evidence of his drug dealings and his connection to some of the murders he's implicated in if we're gonna get to keep him."
    "Good, good. Drug dealings, does that mean you need my help" Alex asked, hoping his good friend Jeremiah Taylor wasn't involved.
    "Nah, not really, we dont really have the time to send someone in undercover."
    "Any more good news?" Alex said, breaking the awkward silence.
    "Yeah. That guy who kidnapped and killed that little girl last year is loose. Great news, right?"
    "Damn. That's horrible. How'd he get out?"
    "I don't even want to talk about it. These stupid, lazy prision guards are gonna be the death of me, ya know?"
    "Mmmhm," Alex gruted his affirmation.
    "And of course there's the usual mugging, but the one in the alleyway by the townhomes was particularly gruesome. We think there's something we don't know, something more to that whole ordeal, but I've got more important things to worry about right now. Like that fucker being on the loose again."
    "Mmmhm," Alex grunted again.
    "Well....uh...thanks for coming in today, but I don't think we need you."
    "Oh, well, uh, I actually just came in to get my paycheck."
    "Ah," Froyd said, a glimmer of disappointment in his eyes.
    They stared awkardly at each other for a while, until, fortunately for both, Froyd was called away. Back outside in the crisp fall air, Alex was heading towards Jupiter Appartments. "God, I miss my home, " he thought bitterly, "not this godforsaken whole in the wall. I'm not even doing what I wanted to do here. I'm a fucking narc. Not ridding the world of bad guys with vicious plots, but selling out guys who are just trying to make a living. Maybe I should just go home...." His mind wandered back home, to what drove him away and what would be waiting for him when he got back, then he quickly dismissed the thought from his mind. He trudged as thoughtlessly as he could manage the rest of the way towards Jupiter Appartments.

    ReplyDelete