Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another cold night. What a surprise, I thought as I stepped out onto Rouse Blvd. and started walking toward my sad excuse of an apartment. I pasted Mo Liquor and contemplated going in to buy yet another bottle of vodka to take the edge of an extremely long day at work. I decided to keep on walking after peaking inside and seeing the ten person long line. Another surprise, a long line at the liquor store. I can only imagine what the line at the Jaguar is like tonight. Work today had been worse than it normally was. I knew when I moved to this city a few years ago that this job would be extremely rough especially in this kind of neighborhood but this was ridiculous. How many drug dealers and robbery cases could there really be in one city? Apparently a lot because today alone I had arrested about four people including chasing one down on foot for at least ten blocks. That was my job, no better yet, that was my life. Outside of working ten or eleven hours a day there wasn't much else. I finally reached the front door of Jupiter Apartments and headed up to the tenth floor. It was a late night on a week day so fortunately the hall was empty. I'm not much for small talk with the neighbors. In fact I've never even met a few of them but that suits me just fine. I stepped into my tiny hallway and headed for the bedroom. It had been a long day and I was looking forward to catching a few hours of sleep before I needed to be up again to start this all over tomorrow. This isn't exactly the life I'd pictured when I'd signed up to be a cop when I was younger. I was certainly getting plenty of action out on the field but I thought one day my hard work would be paying off and so far I had nothing but a day full of long hours. Oh well, maybe one day it will all change but I wasn't holding my breath. I got ready for bed and instantly fell asleep to nightmares of the people I had recently put behind bars coming after me and getting what they felt was much deserved pay back.

2 comments:

  1. ey guhr... i wrote about you

    Alexander Darcy rubbed his eyes and took a look at the line-up of fat black men on the other side of the one-way mirror. He took a long inhale of his Turkish Silver before resignedly sighing out, "That one," in reference to fat black man number three. He would know Tyrone's lamb chops and ten chins anywhere.
    "Thanks Darce, couldn't've nabbed him without your tip," said Deputy Froyd Delson. Froyd was as close to a friend as he had at the police station, but Alex still found it extremely irritating whenever Froyd referred to him as "Darce." Alexander decided not to say anything about it this time, though, because he knew Froyd had had a long night catching this supposed drug lord. This guy wasn't the one the police were after, and Alex knew it, but when he'd figured out how opportune a fall man Tyrone would become, he just had to take advantage of it. Alex had heard that Tyrone would have $75,000 worth of cocaine in his car on October 25th, and, well, today was October 26th.
    Alexander Darcy stubbed out his cigarette, put on his black fedora and threw his black overcoat over his arm, then followed Froyd out of the observation room. Once out, he saw Tyrone being lead away in handcuffs and Alex desperately prayed to any and all higher powers that Tyrone wouldn't look up. Of course he did. The flicker of recognition that crossed Tyrone's face quickly turned into a long suspicious glare. Alex wanted to apologize, to take it all back, but he couldn't.
    "I feel like a fucking narc," Alex thought, "oh wait, that's because I am."

    ReplyDelete